Monday, May 26, 2008

The Otakusphere: Micro-blogging, Identity and an unhealthy dose of navel-gazing.

So I'm going to try to avoid too much navel gazing in the post.

But recently there have been at least a couple posts about the nature of micro-blogging and its place in the Otakusphere.

What I found interesting about both Hige's and Michael's posts is specifically the idea of identity, both the identity of the writer and the identity of the blog. Now everyone takes on different characteristics depending on the role we're playing at a certain point (some people do this more than others.) We're different depending on whether we're at work or if we're at home or if we're with friends or talking to teachers. Now these changes are greater or lesser depending on how drastically different the roles they play are.

Or at least that's how I think about it.

But every writer has an identity. We generally refer to it as a voice, but largely it's something we cultivate. To be honest, I think that's where The Animanachronism's micro blog comes in. It's a little more personal, and it doesn't really fit his identity as a writer (I can't say anything about Owen's because I haven't really read it.) It might provide a scratch pad of sorts for ideas in later posts. But largely, it wouldn't fit into the type of writing that we'd expect from him.

(If you'll permit a little navel-gazing here, I'll try to make it quick.)

Now, this is largely where I fit in. I have an identity as a writer. If someone pinned me down and made me describe it, I'd probably call myself an intellectual plebian. Basically, I'm smart enough to get myself in trouble, but I'm nowhere as smart as say, The Animanachronism, Martin, Hige or Michael. I'm not as good of a writer as bateszi, Hidoshi or CCY. I'm not as funny as Baka-raptor or lolikit. (I apologize if I left anyone out there, because I do think there are an awful lot of good writers in these circles.)

In fact, I'd say the strength of my writing identity comes from two major points. I try to state my point clearly (and forcefully). And I generally take a radically moderate point of view (although sometimes I just take a radical point of view.)

But largely, writers should cultivate a writing identity. Because, most readers read a blog or a column or anything because of the writer. (Or at least I do, so I might be generalizing here.)

Now a blog identity is a different thing. I think there is a good case for having a blog identity. Say if you write episode recaps and that's what people come to your blog expecting to see. Essentially people are creating a brand. This way they'll attract loyal readers. Or as Daniel states in his post, there's a necessity of having standards.

Ironically, by accident and design, this blog doesn't really have a brand in the same way. As most people point out, I tend to cover a wide range of topics. Now I do think that my identity as a writer sometimes shifts a little depending on what I'm writing about, but I'd like to think it remains fairly consistent. In a lot of ways, I'd attract a more loyal crowd if I picked a particular brand for my blog like bateszi has (with Bateszi, Afterimage and his posts in Nakama Brittanica). But unfortunately, I can't seem to reign in the different parts of my brain so I can consistently write one type of piece.

In general though, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to get strangled by your own blog. Because honestly, I'd read what bateszi wrote if he writes it on Afterimage or on Nakama Brittanica or on… well... Bateszi's anime blog. I don't think his identity as a writer shifts enough to really warrant three different blogs.

But that said, I'd read any of those three blogs anyway, so I doubt that it matters.

No comments: