Friday, June 27, 2008

Otakon or Bust

I'm going down to Okaton. Going to eat me lots of… dangos? Pocky?

What is the preferred food of anime conventions anyway?

So yes, for the second time of my life I am actually going to an anime convention and I'm pretty excited. I mean it's not a real big stretch, I live 20 miles outside of the Inner Harbor. Even with traffic, it'd probably take me an hour to get there. But still…

It's not like I've avoided conventions for all of these years. It's just that I never really saw the point. The majority of my friends weren't really into anime the same way I'm into anime. They certainly wouldn't bother making up budgets so that they could spend their money buying DVDs. And for the most part, I lived in the middle of a wheat field in Eastern Washington. Three hundred miles away from the nearest convention and I didn't have a car.

So it isn't a real surprise that I hadn't gone until I went to Otakon 2006.

And I was severly overwhelmed. I think I spent most of my time watching stuff that either hadn't come out yet, or stuff I hadn't even heard of. And as someone who didn't really download fansubs, it was definitely an experience. But this time, I'll be prepared.

At least, I think so.

No comments: