Saturday, February 2, 2008

A little ditty on the industry

There's this phenomena that I learned in psych class called "learned helplessness". Basically, some researchers put a dog in an electrified cage where it couldn't escape and eventually the dog just laid down and stopped trying to escape.

That's how I'm feeling about the industry lately. I want it to suceed. Call me old fashioned, but I like having DVDs produced by actual companies on my shelves. There is something about the acquisition of stuff that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. And I spend money buying them. Hell, I spend money on series whether I know if they're good or not.

But lately, I'm feeling like there's nothing I can do. Even ADV looks like they're sinking fast. I don't feel like railing at the heavens, or beating my head against the wall. I just feel like laying down and curling into a ball, wondering when the next hit will come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you tied in the concept of learned helplessness (yay psych people!) to the anime industry. Maybe it's time we find another hobby?

Cameron Probert said...

Yeah, I mean I like my hobby, but I just don't know what I can do anymore.

And I've tried to tie in schema places too :) I haven't gotten around to attribution yet :)